Tuesday 22 November 2011

The Best In The World - Woking FC

I am a Woking fan. I've never understood why everyone else in Woking isn't. Why don't people get behind their local team? Why support the 'big four'? Week in week out, chasing the glory of a team you have no affiliation to? Some of the joyous moments I've had over the years of watching my team beating Stevenage 3-2 following a last minute Steve Ferguson thunderbolt. Watching my team, who were doomed to relegation until we drew eight games on the trot and beat Telford 3-0 after two results going our way to complete the greatest of great escapes to stay up and then running onto the pitch with 3,000 others celebrating. I was born in 1993. The last major trophy Woking won was 1997 F.A Trophy. In my time of supporting Woking i've seen my club get relegated, almost go out of existence, show great promise and fall flat on their face. Does this mean I turn to the best team in the best division to support the winner? NEVER! Why support a team from your arm chair when you can be part of the game and experience a game live! 


Something bothers me greatly though. That person who supports Man Utd in down south. You ask them why and the answer is something like 'My neighbour's best friend's sister's boyfriend has a house near Manchester.' Why not say 'I hate losing and I'm a glory hunter that will support the best team'

As it happens Woking are currently top of the Blue Sq South. As i'm currently at university in Plymouth I can't get to games but I can tell from the highlights, match reports and comments on 
CardsBoard that we are better than we have been in years. The fact we are now doing well is all the more sweeter after the lows in previous years. If we get promoted this year and maybe one day make it to the football league any Woking fan would agree this would be better than Manchester United winning their 20th title or Arsenal securing a Champions League place. I know that even the loyalist Woking fans have a second team in the Premier League or something like that. I'm not knocking that at all. A lot of people are brought up to support a team and will support them forever as well as Woking. Don't get me wrong I love the Premier League. It is the best league in the world and of course I watch the games. I just don't support a team. Just want the underdog to knock the big spending giant off their perch. 


In my world Woking FC are The Best In The World. A wonderfully run club where the fans are integral to survival. The Boost The Budget scheme illustrates this perfectly where fans donate £10 a month of which the money goes directly into the playing budget. I think this sums my whole article up perfectly. You can talk to the players in the bar afterwards who are down to earth people and not sports car driving, overpaid and cheating on their wives. At Woking FC the fans make the club. At Man Utd, Chelsea etc you are simply a number.  

No comments:

Post a Comment