Tuesday 22 November 2011

A sorry tale of Plymouth Argyle

Before I start I need to make a few things clear. I'm no Argyle expert and writing this article from the perspective of an outsider looking in. As I have moved to Plymouth I have watched a few games and know what the people of Plymouth say about their team. I'm not going to talk about all of Argyle's financial problems which are well documented and no matter how much research I do my opinion would be worthless.

I'll begin with the problem that sticks out like a sore thumb. PETER RIDSDALE. Every single club he's touched has crumbled beneath him. Most high profile being Leeds Utd. So why on earth let the man with one of the worst reputation in football anywhere near Plymouth Argyle? Yes Argyle may have been in deeper trouble off the pitch initially, as the previous board gambled on the 2018 World Cup bid without him, but he's a man with no class that cares simply for himself. Football is not a place for a lot of sentiment however sacking Peter Reid after he paid the heating bills and sold his F.A Cup final losers medal to raise money for the club on top of managing a team on a Sunday league team's budget strikes me as extraordinary.

On the pitch Argyle are rooted to the bottom of the football league and one of the reasons for this amongst others is the fact their best player is the player manager. Not only is it incredibly hard for a player-manager to work but the fact that the best player in the team has the millstone of management around his neck is hampering Argyle. Also the fact that his squad is thread bare and he seems to not be ready for management just yet.  Argyle plunged to a new low after crashing out of the F.A Cup to Southern League Stourbridge on Tuesday.

From the games i've seen i've noticed a few of things. One that when Brighton fans aren't at Home Park for Fans United, a brilliant initiative by the way,  the atmosphere is terrible. Argyle seem to do fairly well in the first half of games but fade horribly in second half of games. Fitness looks like a major issue. The 2-2 draw with Accrington Stanley illustrates all my points perfectly. Started well went 1-0 up against 10 men and then 2-0 up. Second half atmosphere was awful and Argyle were taken apart by 10 men Accrington Stanley and eventually were lucky to draw 2-2 against 10 men. A performance that demonstrated huge naivety, lack of tactical knowledge and a severe lack of fitness. From the games i've been to I have seen some positives. Ladjie Soukouna looks to be a fine player who is great in the air and good on the ball. Curtis Nelson is Brilliant at the back too. Other than that it looks pretty grim out on the pitch with long ball being the order of the day and very little spark.

The people of Plymouth need to get behind their team. Rather then laugh at their problems and brush it aside

I really hope Plymouth stay up. As I go to uni here I desperately want to have the best club on my doorstep possible and i've really enjoyed my trips to Argyle so far but at the moment, next year it looks like i'll be in the away end at Home Park when Woking FC visit Argyle.



No comments:

Post a Comment